Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Are You Deprived?

One of the things I hear often when people talk about being frugal is how not to feel deprived.
You hear how its the one thing over and over, don't deprive yourself.
And you know what I think?
That it is good for you to deprive yourself.
That it stretches you.
You learn what you really need vs. what you just want.
Furthermore, while its good to treat yourself every now and then, isn't that how most of us got here?
This thinking that we can't wait.
We need it now.
We need a treat.
We deserve it.
We have earned it.
When I start thinking that way, all fleshy like, I start thinking of how much I already have.
So what that I don't have a Starbucks?
I have my God.
I don't "need" my girl time out to dinner.
I need God.
I am not deprived.
I am blessed.
What do I deserve?
I have an eternal life that I did not pay for and do not deserve.
I have more than most people in the world have.
I have access to clean drinking water.
I have a roof over my head.
I have so much.
When I realize this, doing without doesn't seem like depriving.
It seems like I'm coming along aside the Lord.
And truly, if your in the presence of the Lord.....
How can you be deprived?

No comments: